Thursday, July 12, 2012

How to Make Umeshu, or Japanese Plum Wine

Ume is an oriental fruit tree similar to western plum and apricot. It blooms from late winter to early spring and bears edible fruits in late spring. Umeshu, or plum wine, is one of the most popular products made from ume fruits. It is a bit sweet and a bit sour light liquor with a clean finish. Many people love its taste. You can get it at a store, or make it by yourself.

It is not so difficult to make umeshu at your home. What you need for ingredients are ume fruits, liquor and sugar. They are all easily available at a supermarket here. Fortunately there is an ume tree in my small garden and I can make umeshu without paying a penny for the fruits. I enjoy homemade umeshu at a reasonable price every year. I have to wait to make it till early summer because my tree is late-blooming and late-bearing, but it is not a big deal.

Why not try some umeshu when you visit Japan, or make it at your home?


I would like to thank my friend Yuki for joining this video as a voice cast. Her clear narration made the video intelligible.

How to Make Umeshu, or Japanese Plum Wine [iPhone 4S/HD]
- Shot in 1080p full HD with an iPhone 4S

No comments:

Post a Comment