Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mochitsuki ~How to Make Mochi, or Japanese Rice Cake~

I came across a small festival while strolling around my neighborhood on a sunny Sunday. I found a stall selling freshly-made mochi there.

Mochi are Japanese rice cakes, which are made by pounding boiled glutinous rice into paste. The process of making mochi is called mochitsuki, which is usually (but not always) held as a year-end ceremony. People once enjoyed mochitsuki at their home, although nowadays it is not very common especially in urban areas. I remember, when I was a kid, my relatives used to gather at my grandfather's home and enjoy mochitsuki together every year-end.

Family mochitsuki is becoming a thing of the past, but it is still popular as an act of festivals and events.

Mochitsuki ~How to Make Mochi, or Japanese Rice Cake~ [iPhone 4S/HD]
- Shot in 1080p full HD with an iPhone 4S on Oct. 21st, 2012

2 comments:

  1. good evening Japan.. Greetings from Bhutan. love to study about Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and your comment, Sonam. The visit to Japan of the king and the queen of your country really impressed Japanese people last year. Seems like many Japanese became interested in and to love Bhutan because of their visit. I'm not sure if I can eat the very spicy foods in your country though.. :P

      Delete